Insect identification help

Have an insect and need some help getting it identified?  You have several options:

  • Texas AgriLife Extension offers help as close as your nearest county Extension office.  For a listing of AgriLife Extension county Extension offices, simply click on the County Extension Offices link and then search for your county.  Here you will find out how to contact one of your county Extension agents.  Our agents are knowledgeable about many local pest problems, and can help you get personalized help.
  • If you think you know the name of your insect, try the search engine on our Extension Entomology home page.  Also, have you tried Google Images–a great resource for confirming insect identities?
  • Another good resource is  This site is designed and run by volunteers dedicated  to illustrating and providing basic information about insects in the United States.  Use the picture key on the left side of the site to get started. It also has a function that allows you to submit pictures for identification by an expert.
  • Try out the new Insect Identification tools website.  At this site you can see some of the most common insects submitted to Extension office around Texas, and submit an image for identification.
  • If you live in Texas you can mail or drop specimens off at the Rollins Urban and Structural Entomology Building, Texas A&M University, 2556 F&B Road, Building 1804, College Station, TX 77843-2143.

Please check our guidelines for what types of samples we can and cannot accept.

Click here to download a form
Any specimens sent in for identification should be accompanied by this form.  Be sure to fill out sections A and B completely.


Leave a Reply