March 2023 – Quick updates!

(Last Updated On: March 11, 2024)

Howdy to our followers!

My name is Bryant McDowell. I am the new Extension Program Specialist in Urban Integrated Pest Management located at the Dallas Research and Extension Center. I started my position with AgriLife in September 2022 and spent most of the Fall in new hire training and getting a feel for my new responsibilities. In addition to maintaining this webpage, I will be managing the IPM Experience House located here at the Dallas Center. This training facility is utilized to provide in-depth, hands-on learning opportunities to pest management professionals. I am currently developing this year’s curriculum, and I will be posting our course offerings/schedules on this site, as well as the IPM house webpage. https://www.ipmhouse.tamu.edu

Aside from the courses we are developing for the IPM Experience House, I’ll be traveling throughout the state to give presentations to pest management professionals and Texas master volunteers. Additionally, I will be happy to assist both commercial and residential clients with insect identifications. Each submission will require a form to be filled out and attached to the package. This can either be printed off and filled (I will post the PDF to this webpage as soon as I have a final version), or I will have them available at the front office of our facilities if you choose to drop-off in person. NOTE* Please read our insect ID disclosure document before submitting specimens.

I’ll be posting regular updates throughout the year to this site – stay posted for the most updated information on insects in the Dallas area! In the meantime, be sure to follow our teams podcasts!

“Bugs by the Yard”, hosted by Molly Keck, Wizzie Brown, and yours truly – is for listeners who want to know more about Texas insects, whether you live in an urban environment, or a rural area, there is something here for everyone!

“Unwanted Guests”, hosted by those mentioned previously, as well as Janet Hurley and Dr. Robert Puckett – is for the average homeowner or even pest management professionals who want to learn more about insects and related arthropods that invade our structures.

You can find our episodes on the Apple Podcast App, Spotify, or listen online here: